The New Building
|18||Firm||HPP Hentrich-Petschnigg & Partner GmbH + Co. KG|
|19||Project Architect||Volker Weuthen, www.hpp.com, interior design Silvia Pappa Innenarchitekten and UKW Innenarchitekten, www.silvia-pappa.de, www.ukw-innenarchitekten.de|
|20||Type of project||new building|
|b||aims of the new building|
|21||Short description of the main objectives and purposes of the project||1. The old Special Library of Medicine had to be closed because of decrepitude.
2. Create a new innovative library corresponding with the idea of libraries as well-designed learning spaces and learning grids.
3. Usefull and enlarged technical support for the students.
4. Create a joint-venture of a modern library and a learning-center of the Faculty of Medicine.
5. Extend the number of reader seats and study-rooms for students.
6. Extension of opening hours to the public:
Opening hours of the new library:
Monday to Friday 8.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m.
Saturday to Sunday: 9.00 a.m. - 12.00 p.m.
|22||Site||1. Located on campus, in the middle of the whole campus, between university area and clinical area,
2. near by the "Mensa",
3. near by parking spaces.
|23||Architecture||1. Rectangular plan, 22 x 22 m, 38 m high, like a tower,
2. white mosaic of glass, green high windows,
3. cast-in-place concrete
4. materials selected to reduce energy costs (according to the german instructions "EnEV 2009"), for example windows
5. disabled access